September 11, 2005

Lola Meets Her Bed (or Why Lola has a Giant Bed)

[approximately 8 months ago] I brought Lola home for the first time on a Friday afternoon. She was a little apprehensive (understandably so, since she had only met me briefly a few days before and had no idea what was going on), but she was going with the flow - she's a mellow dog and that's what she does.

I led her around my apartment (so that she understood she was allowed everywhere) then to her water bowl (so she would know where it was) and finally to Her Bed. We stopped in front of the bed, and I looked down at her. She looked up at me, then back at the bed, and back to me. Her face lit up with a doggie smile and had an expression like, "Is that my bed?" I nodded to her and before the words "Go on" were uttered from my mouth, she had jumped into Her Bed and made herself comfortable. The apprehension was gone, replaced with...self-possession and, I think, happiness. In that instant, she may not have known what was going on, but she knew she would be okay with me.

On the day I went to get Lola's moving-in supplies, the pet store only had x-small and x-large beds. I opted for x-large(which is more than a little big for her), figuring I'd exchange it for a large or medium in a few days when they restocked. She was so happy when she saw that bed, though, that I couldn't bring myself to exchange it (not even for one just like it except for the size).

I guess I'm just a sentimental fool.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Aw, but Lola so loves that bed! She even let me sleep in the same room with her when she slept in it.

Can't wait to read what else you have to tell about your nice girl!

WCTs said...

Can't wait to read more Lola stories! She is so pretty!

=^..^=, come to our site to see some doggy blogs, The Whippy Curly Tails in the Toasty South!