December 15, 2005

Grandma Loves Lola (possibly more than me)

My mom loves Lola. She says Lola is not only beautiful, but also a very good girl, even though she has never met Lola. Lola can do no wrong - I am a mean mom, for example, if I don't let Lola bark at other dogs. Or if I don't let Lola eat treats just before dinner.

I'm pretty sure my mom loves Lola more than me.

Most recently, my mom and I had this conversation:

mom: I have a whole bunch of spare change in bags & tins. I want to give it to Lola for being a good girl.
[the hell?]me: What?
mom: I've been saving it for a while and I want to give it to Lola for being a good girl. Will you help me count it when you are here?
me: uh, sure...wait, are you saying Lola has an allowance?
mom:What's that?
[I explain to my Cuban mom what an allowance is for a few minutes, since she has no concept of what that is...which, yes, also means I never had an allowance growing up.]
mom: Yes, exactly. An allowance for being a good girl.
I repeat: neither me nor my brothers ever had an allowance. But Lola apparently does.

Then, shortly after:
mom: I need you to do me a favor.
me: Sure, mom.
mom: I want you to get Lola a Christmas present for me.
[For a moment, I'm shocked that my mom is being so practical, i.e., not making me bring Lola's present back from Florida.]
mom: And I want you to have the folks at the day care give it to her on Christmas day.
[Wha?Wha? Also: giggle] me: What?
mom: I want her to have a present on Christmas, like the rest of us.
[She sounded so much like a little kid, that I relented.] me: okay, mom.
mom: Promise me.
me: I promise.
mom: When are you going to get her present?
me: Thursday or Friday - whenever I have to get her food.
mom: Alright. And be sure to take it to the day care when you drop her off for boarding.
me: Yes, mom.

More evidence she loves Lola more than me: A few months ago, I was talking to my folks about bringing them out to SoCal for New Year's. My holiday visit is short, b/c I don't want to be away from the girl that much, and my folks wanted to spend more time with me. I thought New Year's would be great: they could be out here for the Rose Bowl parade - which is the only parade that my mom sits and watches. I live a few blocks from the parade route, so this was a good plan.

Then My mom hurt her foot -sprained & fractured - and needed a long recovery. Their trip to SoCal was now in doubt. I called my mom one day, knowing she had been to a follow-up visit with her doctor, to see if the trip was possible. Mind you, at this point (about a month into her recovery), my mom was going stir-crazy. She hates being dependent on other people and being unable to go wherever she wants; and she was stuck in the house.

mom: I don't think I'll be able to go. I'm walking better, but I'm still pretty immobile.
me: well, you could still come out. Even if you just stay at my place, at least it's a change of scenery.
[her reply, I kid you not] mom: If I can't take Lola out for a walk or play with her at the park, why am I going to go?

See? She loves Lola more than me. :)



Lola sez, "Check this out": Pious Jindo Pooch

2 comments:

Jessica said...

"Possibly"? I think it's definite. =)

DK & The Fluffies said...

Hoppy Holidays from Diva Kitty, Fiona, Orlando and DKM