December 31, 2005

Lola's brother (almost)


(click on picture for a larger view)

That cutie is Brownie, a nine month old mutt (~45lbs). (It's hard to tell in the picture, but his coat actually has a lot of red in it.)

Brownie's Story (skip if you wish):
His former owners are my aunt's tenants. They always kept him outside & underfed - they didn't seem to understand that a growing, large dog needs a lot of food. UGh! Stupid humans! Anyway, when the hurricanes (Katrina & Wilma) headed towards South Florida, my aunt took him in for his protection. My aunt & her husband reside in a condo, but they own a house across the street from my parents (my aunt's mother-in-law used to live there). Brownie now stays in that yard.

Brownie escaped from the yard & was hit by a car. As you can see, he's recovered very well - he still limps a little, but is doing very well.


Why I love Brownie
Yes, he's cute. And yes, he's a puppy (a large one!) which automatically makes him lovable. But that's not why I wanted to take him home with me. I love Lola for many reasons, but the main thing that made me fall in love with her when I met her was her totally mellow attitude (that, and her blonde eyelashes). I fell in love with Brownie for the opposite reason - he's a spitfire, full of energy, but not a spaz. He has this incredible joie de vivre. (That, and his goofy ears & spotted tongue :) And he's smart & eager to learn & too sweet. Other than some mouthing, he played really well.

If I owned my own place (with perhaps a little yard), there's no doubt I would have brought him home with me. I think he would have complemented Lola - Ying to her Yang, so to speak. Maybe next year... :)

Brownie starts training with my Aunt Celia in January. Good luck, Brownie! :)

No comments: