June 28, 2006

Paging Nurse Lola

When it comes to people, Lola can be aloof and also terribly sweet. When I first got her, she was being all aloof & cool. I knew in my brain that she didn't know me & I knew it would take time for her to think I'm okay people, but a little part of me worried that she'd never warm up to me. (It can happen.) Now I know that she's just super-aloof; she doesn't demand attention, at least not like most dogs. Now I know that her aloof exterior hides a really, really sweet doggie...she just needed to learn how to show it. About two weeks after I got her, I came down with the flu - I rarely get a cold or the flu, but this mutant uber-virus got me good & wiped me out. The first time I had a flu-induced cough, Lola came over to me, her face the picture of worry. It was such a sincere look that I could not doubt that she cared. She understood that I couldn't walk her too fast or for too long. And every time I had a hacking cough fit, she came over to see if I was okay. She'd come up close & study my face (maybe checking if I was still breathing?) until I told her I was okay.

The other night I lay on the couch watching a movie & Lola was in Her Bed. I got the hiccups and Lola came over to me, looking very concerned. Her brow was furrowed, worried that something might be very wrong with me. Another hiccup and she jumped up on the couch (which she never does unless I tell her to - I didn't "train her"; she's just polite). Another hiccup & her face was right up to mine. Perhaps she was ready to give me mouth-to-mouth if necessary. :) I reassured her that I was okay & she lay down next to me for a while - I guess until she had assured herself that I was reallyokay.

Now I guess I should teach Nurse Lola how to dial 911.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Perhaps she was waiting for you to regurgitate for her? :)

Zeus said...

That is a very sweet story. It's amazing how animals can be in-tune with their owners, looking after them in their time of need. I always try to smother my human pet's face when she is sick. I know she needs to break that fever after all!